Global Innovation Chairs
Global Innovation Chairs were introduced as a key element of the NeW Directions Research and Innovation Strategic Plan and were established as part of a suite of initiatives aimed at enhancing our global research performance and reputation.
Recognised leaders in fields of global significance
Our Global Innovation Chairs are responsible for leading the development of research and evidence-based translational practice and policy across the University and within faculties and schools. All Chairs have a strong record of:
- attracting competitive funding
- generating and translating excellent research outcomes
- developing strong working relationships with Government, the community and industry sectors
Demonstrated leadership in the translation of research outcomes
Our Global Innovation Chairs play a significant role in developing and maintaining the University's leadership in areas of research strength by facilitating greater engagement with international partners, driving stronger models of collaboration (through centres, hubs and clusters) and maximising the translation and societal impact of our research.
Internal Server Error
The server encountered an internal error and was unable to complete your request. Either the server is overloaded or there is an error in the application.
Developing leadership in research strength
Global Innovation Chairs are high profile positions within the University of Newcastle. All current and future appointments meet rigorous selection characteristics including:
- Leadership in an area or on problems of global significance which will enhance, complement or interface with existing or emerging areas of research strength at the University of Newcastle.
- A record of developing new research areas and ideas or bridging previously disconnected areas of research or bringing creative and novel solutions to address interdisciplinary problems.
- An outstanding international research profile.
- The capacity to build large productive teams and to support the careers of junior researchers through effective mentorship and engage undergraduate students.
- The capacity to drive the translation of research outcomes through active engagement and productive collaboration with partners to ensure that the research outcomes add value through innovation – with likely long term economic, social or environmental impact.
Who are our Global Innovation Chairs?
The University of Newcastle has appointed 11 Global Innovation Chairs:
- Professor Joanna Bourke, Global Innovation Chair in the Centre for the History of Violence
- Professor Penny Jane Burke, Centre of Excellence for Equity and Higher 教育
- 教授理查德·布什, 国际 Centre for Balanced Land Use
- 教授朱莉·拜尔斯, Global Innovation Chair in Responsive Transitions in 健康 and Ageing
- Professor Miles Hewstone, Global Innovation Chair in Social Conflict and Cohesion
- 教授拉维·奈杜, Global Centre for Environmental Remediation
- 教授布雷特Neilan所作, Global Innovation Chair Biotechnology
- Professor Michael Nilsson, Global Innovation Chair of Rehabilitation Medicine
- 教授射线西门子, Global Innovation Chair Digital Humanities
- Professor Vijay Varadharajan, Global Innovation Chair in Cybersecurity
- 教授ajayan vinu, Global Innovation Chair for Advanced Nanomaterials
All have quickly embedded themselves in the University's research culture, have been active in community and industry engagement, and are set to spearhead our global research reputation.